By Taylor Brouillet-Stock, Account Specialist
Did you make any New Year’s Resolutions for 2022? Now that it’s February, I think it’s time to take a step back and evaluate how those resolutions are coming along. New Year’s Resolutions can be hard to keep, especially if you plan to make drastic changes in your life and do a complete 180 from December 31st to January 1st.
I have noticed (and I am guilty of this as well) that people tend to put a lot of pressure on themselves to fulfill certain resolutions by a certain time in the year. In my experience, and from what I have witnessed from others, when those resolutions aren’t met by that arbitrary due date it can make you feel like a failure or that your entire year is ruined. I think that having goals for your life and wanting to build better habits is a great thing! But I also think that we shouldn’t put too much pressure on ourselves or put ourselves down if things don’t go exactly the way we expect them to.
In this article, James Clear lists 30 one-sentence stories from people who have built better habits in their lives. I think this is a great example of how making just a slight change in your behavior can result in big changes down the road that help you build a better, healthier lifestyle. If you are anything like me and struggle to keep New Year’s Resolutions, give this article a read as it may inspire you to make those small and manageable changes to bring you a happier way of life!
By Taylor Brouillet-Stock, Account Specialist
Have you ever had an instance when you didn’t get along with a coworker? Well, maybe it was because they’re a Taurus and you’re an Aries! Just kidding, that’s not entirely how astrology works. Astrology has become a contentious topic of discussion as its popularity has grown over the years. People often wonder, does astrology somehow control our fate? Or is this just a bunch of bologna? Whether you believe in astrology or think it’s straight up nonsense, it can be a very interesting topic to learn about and can invite us to learn more about ourselves and others (like the people we work with). Plus, it’s just plain FUN!
Check out below what your zodiac sign is along with a few strengths, weaknesses, and general overview of each sign in the workplace.
Aries (March 21-April 20)
- Strengths: Courageous, confident, determined, passionate, energetic
- Weaknesses: Impatient, short-tempered, impulsive
- In the workplace: Aries are the first of the zodiac, therefore, they have a desire to be first at everything and are natural born leaders who are fiercely competitive. In the workplace, they are often gamechangers and are a great force. However, it can be important for this sun sign to remember to be patient and to not overstep boundaries.
Taurus (April 21-May 21)
- Strengths: Patient, reliable, responsible, practical
- Weaknesses: Stubborn, possessive, greedy
- In the workplace: People born under this sun sign are often known as “the rock of the workplace”. They value their security and stability and are known for being dependable and reliable in the workplace. You can typically count on a Taurus to be unfazed by potential emotional turmoil that may easily cloud other’s vision.
Gemini (May 22-June 21)
- Strengths: Curious, adaptable, versatile, intellectual
- Weaknesses: Inconsistent, indecisive, superficial
- In the workplace: Geminis have been known to be “the most delightful to work with”. This sun sign is ruled by Mercury, so they value communication. The symbol of Gemini is the “twins”, which can make them seem “superficial” at times as they may act different in different surroundings. However, it’s important to keep in mind that this sign is very adaptable to its surroundings and can vibe with anyone.
Cancer (June 22-July 22)
- Strengths: Loyal, sympathetic, persuasive, imaginative
- Weaknesses: Manipulative, pessimistic, clingy
- In the workplace: Cancers are very much in tune with their own emotions, as well as other’s emotions which can make them a very caring co-worker. The symbol for Cancer is a crab, which reflects how Cancers can sometimes be very guarded (like how a crab’s shell provides protection) which makes it hard to let their true personality shine through.
Leo (July 23-August 21)
- Strengths: Generous, humorous, cheerful, creative
- Weaknesses: Arrogant, bossy, inflexible
- In the workplace: Leos are often known as the “king of the office jungle” as their symbol is the lion. Leos thrive on the energy of others and have the ability to bring their own enthusiasm to the workplace. Leos are ruled by the Sun, so they are the center of their own universe which can make it quite easy to bruise a Leo’s ego.
Virgo (August 22-September 23)
- Strengths: Analytical, hardworking, practical, diligent
- Weaknesses: Shy, overly critical of self and others, perfectionist
- In the workplace: Virgos are known as the “diligent, silent soldiers” in the workplace. They are intelligent, however they typically over-think, over-worry, and over-work themselves. In addition, Virgos can sometimes come off as very critical of others.
Libra (September 24-October 23)
- Strengths: Cooperative, fair-minded, diplomatic, easygoing
- Weaknesses: Avoids confrontations, indecisive, holds a grudge
- In the workplace: The symbol for Libra is the scales and because of this, Libras value justice and balance. They are often known as the “unifying force of justice” in the workplace as they are usually unbothered by others and are known to be unbiased and very fair. However, at times, a Libra’s confidence in their judgment can be overpowering and can end up clouding their judgment.
Scorpio (October 24-November 22)
- Strengths: Brave, passionate, resourceful, determined
- Weaknesses: Jealous, secretive, distrusting
- In the workplace: Just like a scorpion (the symbol for this sun sign) Scorpios are the people at work that you don’t want to mess with. However, on the plus side, they can accomplish anything due to their drive, determination, passion, and their resourcefulness.
Sagittarius (November 23-December 22)
- Strengths: Generous, idealistic, optimistic, straightforward
- Weaknesses: Impatient, careless, irresponsible
- In the workplace: Sagittarians have been known to be a “ray of sunshine in a windowless office”. They are often very optimistic and adventurous. However, there are times when this sun sign takes things too far and can get caught up pursuing a good time.
Capricorn (December 23-January 20)
- Strengths: Responsible, disciplined, practical, careful
- Weaknesses: Pessimistic, know-it-all, unforgiving
- In the workplace: Capricorns are often very efficient and helpful in the workplace. You can count on them to be responsible and practical. Capricorns value stability and order which is often reflected in their work. At times, Capricorns may come off as a know-it-all, however they just might actually know it all.
Aquarius (January 21-February 19)
- Strengths: Independent, humanitarian, original, progressive
- Weaknesses: Avoids emotional expression, temperamental, uncompromising
- In the workplace: Aquarians are known as one of the most “good-natured of the bunch”. Due to their independence and originality, they often isolate themselves and they have sometimes been known to set double standards.
Pisces (February 20-March 20)
- Strengths: Compassionate, artistic, gentle, wise, intuitive
- Weaknesses: Overly trusting, fearful, desire to escape reality
- In the workplace: Pisces are the “babies” of the zodiac signs and are often a “mix” of all zodiac signs. This makes Pisces very intuitive of others which can them more aware of how other people are feeling. Like Cancer, this makes for a very caring and emotionally intelligent co-worker.
So, what does all this mean? Well, that’s for you to decide! It Of course, this is a very general overview of each zodiac sign, and it may not reflect exactly who you are as a person. If you want to learn more, I suggest doing more research into your sun sign (and possibly your entire birth chart, but that’s a whole different conversation).
Whether you believe any of this to be true or not, it’s always beneficial to seek a greater understanding of our strengths, weaknesses, and how we may act in the workplace. It can also help to understand our coworkers better, which may help to create better relationships with those people. Let’s be honest, if you’re going to spend 40 hours a week with people, don’t you want to get along with them? Even if they are a Taurus and you’re an Aries…